• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Go! Go! Loser Ranger!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe that means it did? I don't know, y'all. Anime has warped my brain so much after all of these years that I'm having a hard time gauging what a “normal” level of incest is in my media, anymore.

Hahaha "absolutely none" for me these days anymore I think. It's just another something I've learned to tolerate in anime and Japanese videogames, and do my best to ignore it/steer clear from obvious signs of it. After many years and years of it, it's gotten so tiresome. I feel totally dispassionate even, that I find it hard to do anything but sigh and move on when yet another anime or Japanese game I'm enjoying decides to sprinkle in some incest.

The whole incest and voice acting m#aning in the latest episode could be related with the mangaka's previous work. In fact, there is something about every character design in this series that might evoke surprising sex appeal.

Designs aside, I really liked this episode. D was a lot more fun to see trying pose as Hibiki than when he is angry. Wonder what exactly this is going.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote
They must have known exactly what they were doing starting off the first episode back from the tokusatsu-mandated golf break with a panning shot of Suzukiri's fine behind. I'm curious if she's going to immediately realize Hibiki is now D. Will he trust her enough to tell her?

Blue Keeper sounded like a genuine hero. Were the original Dragon Keepers actually heroic? Sosei seems like he's been Red Keeper for a while so I wonder exactly how long he's been doing this.

Hibiki is a "warrior of love" - As in he seems surprisingly popular with women, from his brocon sister, working with Suzukiri, and now he had a monster girl stashed in his closet that seems to have a massive crush on him. And now D has to manage all of that.

How many A-list seiyuu can we fit in one episode? Surprisingly a lot. Also I love how all the girls are cute and busty.

Monster Girl is an interesting contrast to D where unlike the other Dusters she never gave up and kept fighting, only to saved because Hibiki protected her. So she looks down on the remnants who gave up but respects Hibiki.

Okay, so Pink Keeper is a massive brocon...but at least she actually fights crime!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hisui is, as we already established, a perfect queen who is incapable of doing wrong and has no reason whatsoever to come find me at my home to exact bloody vengeance.
Morally, factually, and objectively correct.
Quote:
I know we're not supposed to take anything in a show called Go, Go, Loser Ranger! all that seriously
I will once again curse whoever came up with this slave name.

I encourage anyone who thinks the last couple of episodes could use a bit more to check out the manga, as the anime's abridged some material there that helps flesh things out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
It seems like all the recruits have their own stories and struggles in becoming Rangers, and ironically their best chance at succeeding is in following "HibikI" and his tactics as a monster instead of fighting like Rangers. Especially when they're easily out-matched by their Senpai.

It was nice finally getting confirmation of what each Ranger division specializes in. Really curious how the Pink squads' support checks out. Also I find it amusing that Blue is management and Green is the stealth squad but Blue Keeper is basically a thug and Green Keeper the most jovial of the keepers.

Suzukiri can tank a truck!? I was really expecting to get some one-on-one time between her and "Hibiki" but they might be avoiding that because she could very easily realize he's really D after talking with him and they don't want to bite the bullet on that yet.

Hisui is a lot of fun...not sure I'd want to be trapped in a room with her. Or Suzukiri. What is it with this show and their scarousing blondes?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
I wish the story hadn't been abridged for the anime; much of the flourishes and back and forth that's only in the manga helped the other Colorless feel more fleshed out. Heck, even Koguma's reaction to punching out "Hibiki's" skull got shortened. To answer your question, only he's aware that "Hibiki's" actually a Footsoldier.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 10:33 am Reply with quote
James wrote:
“What? Ore? I mean, boku? No way!” Keep in mind, I actually added the italics for the Japanese pronouns, myself; now, imagine how confusing that exchange would be for anyone watching who doesn't possess my sub-preschool level of Japanese language comprehension! Why on Earth was the line translated like that!?

I think this is what a translator experiencing "How TF do I translate this naturally? Uhhh oh look the deadline's here welp I give up" looks like Laughing
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really hope Loser Ranger! wraps up this exam storyline soon, because I feel like we're starting to lose track of what made the show feel so fun and interesting to begin with.

spoiler[We've got 4-5 more episodes of this arc. But at least we get some interesting stuff from D in the latter part]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the exam is rather ingenious, especially once the colorless force five formed.
It's a team bonding exercise, not a Darwinism scheme between two candidates five individual times. The anime didn't spell it out but I sensed an "ohhh..." reaction from D once he saw the five stand abreast.

I don't know the manga but I'm guessing D knows it's not only the Rangers who get to form a team.

The other development, that Monster, seems ready to throw the whole monkey wrench factory in with D's monkey wrench.

I have no complaints with Hulu streaming anime. There were two legit streaming platforms for anime streaming way back when. Netflix streamed ADV and Hulu streamed Funimation but now AMC owns what's left of ADV and Sony ate Funimation.

Anything to stop the full elimination of anime outside of "Japan"/Sony, that's all I ask.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot about Blue Technician Guy until he came back...only for it to turn out he's actually a really nice dude and end up getting killed in the process. You can tell XX realized she'd messed up as soon as he bought it. Also...is someone going to find his body in Hibiki's closet, especially when D isn't even aware XX is gone?

I like how you think "Hibiki" and Shion are going to bond and come together as partners...and then Shion ends up betraying D before D could betray him!

So some of the Boss Monsters survived? And XX was in communication with Pelrota and was aware he was alive? So did the Keepers lie about destroying all the bosses and the bosses abandoned the Dusters? Or have they been keeping them at the base to dissect and experiment on?

I was wondering if Suzukiri was cluing into the truth but it seems like "Hibiki's" "world domination" line clinched it for her. And now she seems head over heels in love with Fighter D...and rooting for him.

I feel like I should've seen it coming that it wasn't a straightforward test of tactics and teamwork considering only five people can pass so obviously you would need to betray your partner and group up with other "worthy" teammates.

Ah, I see where the Ranger Reject/Loser Rangers title comes from, D has to band together with the rejects and underestimated members and use his own tactics to help them succeed.

Way to fumble the ball Yamato. Yukino literally just casually walked up to you and stole the key like you practically handed it to her.

Aizome seems like one of the few genuinely nice characters. So of course she's around the most dangerous thing in the show at this point.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The second the boss monster showed up it became really hard to care about the test. Not to mention the test has gone on far longer than it has any right to.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first time I've been satisfied with an arc's progress while others consider it overlong, and I doubt it'll be the last. The skipped material certainly doesn't help either.

As for the episode itself, D going on a power trip with Burst Form was as hilarious as Shippo rehydrating muscle by muscle. The rapport between his squad is charming and I'm looking forward to seeing them all in action.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
It feels like every time a character acts genuinely heroic (Aizome, that Blue Ranger girl who got headshotted, Ranmaru) it never ends well for them (other than I guess Hibiki and Pink Keeper saving a girl from some thugs). I don't think Ranmuar is actually dead but that's 99% XX during the test.

First I was incredibly frustrated with Yamato and then I grew to really respect him. In fact all of D's makeshift team, especially Angel, are growing on me. I really hope they stick together moving forward past this test. Maybe as the titular Ranger Reject/Loser Rangers/

I thought Ishikawa was a cool old dude, but turns out he's a "Nice Guy" who butters people up to get what he wants. I'm curious how deep his relationship with Yukino is though I bet he's probably stringing her along as much as he is anyone.

Shippou's muscle transformation was priceless. Also Angel and Yamato punching his pecks.

I see Sosei has incredible bedside manner. I feel like there are much better Keepers to handle that kind of thing.

Shion unlocking Burst Mode by just bashing the Dragon Gadget gave me strong "Fuwa forcing the Shotriser out" vibes.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think we have reached the point of this Go, Go, Loser Ranger! arc where I will have to start deducting points for every additional minute we spend in this godforsaken parking garage.

I had the same problem when reading the manga. The place is boring —even i guess you need a lot of places where D can hide himself and his powers—, the exam itself takes too long and the characters mean nothing to us; why should we care if examinee #1 is killed or the one to die is not-a-examinee A ?
Ditto the Invaders' boss Pletrola (sp?). Weren't we told they all were killed? .
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
D and XX's responses to the very notion of there being a boss monster that is still alive give you the impression that Peltrola's appearance is supposed to be a huge freaking deal. The fact that Aizome is barely able to survive the encounter after Ranmaru and some poor extra get wasted by the creature would support that fact! Yet, despite all of this, G!G!LR! still sees fit to just barely address Peltrola's presence in the cadet bunker while spending so much time on the frankly boring shenanigans that D and the other cadets are up to.

Seeing how one character's entire reason for being in the story is having his brother killed by a boss monster and no one believing him...
Oh, it's a conspiracy, isn't it? It's like thinking you'll find aliens in Area 51 when they've been hiding in plain sight at the Pentagon this entire time.

There being aliens is a big deal but not to aliens at Area 51. They're surprised but not that surprised.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
The series is giving me dark vibes as if most of the recruits are gonna get killed. There was another decapitation but without any censorship but instead fulled shown headshot. That boss/alien has no mercy on anybody which makes me wonder if D is gonna care for any of his victims
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2