• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious in Dungeon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I find myself somewhere between the two reactions. I like LT's read that it was essentially "an intrusive thought" (maybe not even borne from shock, so much as that is always his brain's first reaction to a physiologically neat monster), but I also feel like the way it was delivered didn't feel as fully gutting/gutted as it should have. Still a solid performance, but I guess I can imagine a version of that scene that betters marries Laios's quirks and his grief in that moment.

Nevertheless, still one of my favorite airing shows. Maybe my single favorite this season, even, which I've found pretty light aside from continuing fare.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I will say this episode was the most clear illustration of what actual fights like that in D&D ARE like. With resurrection magic in play, death is often extremely anticlimactic once you hit the appropriate level. Many a D&D party will just gut their own drama because of the ubiquity of healing and resurrection, it's just part and parcel of the experience with that particular game/setting and I think Delicious in Dungeon showed it pretty well.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I find myself somewhere between the two reactions. I like LT's read that it was essentially "an intrusive thought" (maybe not even borne from shock, so much as that is always his brain's first reaction to a physiologically neat monster), but I also feel like the way it was delivered didn't feel as fully gutting/gutted as it should have. Still a solid performance, but I guess I can imagine a version of that scene that betters marries Laios's quirks and his grief in that moment.

That fault is on the original manga-ka, then, because that moment is a faithful recreation of how it's handled in the source material.

And honestly, Liaos being emotionally gutted here would be a bit out of character. It's Falin, but also a damn cool-looking monster. The best of both worlds for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:57 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I got the 'coalition' I was hoping for, but damn that was short-lived and dissolved right after just one assault from the miniboss. I can also see why Laios and co has no choice but to clear the dungeon now, but it really feels like an excuse for them not to get extra supplies from the surface so they can continue eating monsters (Did Senshi even get those spices he said they were running out of?)

Shuro said he's going to give up and go back to not-Japan, but left Laios' party an item, while Kabru on the other hand, appears to be planning to check on our main party somehow so I definitely expect to see all of them again! As for the elves... judging from all the conversations in the past few episodes, it seems to me they are policing the use of magic in this world (to everybody else's dismay), and given that Marcille already painted a target on their backs with her use of black magic, I have no doubt there would be an eventual clash with them, but now I'm kinda doubting my initial assumption that they would play a role as major villains. Because they have this monopoly on black magic, maybe they can even help return Falin back to normal.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 am Reply with quote
I never really saw this series as being as dark as Ep. 17 was turning out to be. The way the other party characters were being taken down like so many rag dolls had me shouting at the TV: "Holy Jeezus!", it was the most intense bit of animation I've seen in ages; the nasty sounds, the body count, the way the camera was moving as death was happening all around on screen and off had me on the edge of my couch. Yeah, the fact mostly all were brought back, (as long as there was enough blood, yeesh) didn't belittle the sheer terror of the scene and how deadly Falin has become. Now, is this a turning point? We haven't had the levity as mostly all the other episodes had: that whimsical turn to slow things down and make it all about the food and cooking was cast aside and, I for one, like the turn to a more serious tone - especially as we now have a definitive path, actually taking down the Mad Mage and REALLY save Falin. This for me was the best 20 odd minutes of anime, (thanks TRIGGER!) I've seen this season and am looking forward to more!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
jgprogfan wrote:
Now, is this a turning point?

I've been wondering this ever since Marceille's 'black magic' resurrection of Falin, and the early signs that she was not quite whole -- or, not completely unchanged, anyway. If we continue to shift, I'll miss Meshi's whimsy, but so far I have a fair amount of faith they'd do a good job with the tragedy and drama this arc seems to be moving us towards, and it kind of.. hits me harder, actually having met Falin in some sense, now? Previously, despite her being their goal the entire time, it often felt like she was absent from my consciousness, more an abstract concept than a character. The loss of her the second time feels more fully realized from a viewing perspective, IMO.

Well, that was a little rambling, but in short, I'm excited to see where it goes Laughing

Separately, I also kind of dig that it isn't really clear whether 'black magic' is unjustly stigmatized (as Marceille sort of seemed to argue at one point, I vaguely recall?), or if there really is something more sinister to it. That kind of in-universe metaphysics can often be very unengaging, but I'm hopeful they'll do something narratively interesting that gives us clarity on that.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed this week's episode a ton - love all the little animation flourishes here and there. The vibes upon entering the 6th floor were very cool (pun intended).

Regarding this episode's review. I wonder if Grant doesn't visit the forums, or maybe his opinion just can't be swayed. Fair in either case, but personally I never felt that the emotional weight of this series, even in cases of violent combat, is tied to whether people die for good or not.
Sidenote: I can't help but wonder if the review for episode 18 would have benefited from another editing pass. There are two separate paragraphs where Grant writes about the scenario being an opportunity to reveal the characters' thoughts - one paragraph right after the other, using about the same exact wording. It feels like when you write a first draft, later come up with a second draft, but forget to delete the old paragraph/draft in the text.
Nev999

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's been pointed out that if Falin had killed everyone (and she really could have, if not for Marcille protecting the party at the end), or even just all the magic users, there would likely be no ressurection.

But in addition to being unlikely their bodies would be found, I feel like the Lunatic Magician would take the bodies so they couldn't be resurrected. He clearly sees them as a threat, so he'd make sure the job was finished.

But the real horror and tension is what Falin turned into, as others have pointed out. And if she kills Marcille or Laios, even if they come back, that would likely traumatize them (Marcille especially, I feel like)--that was honestly the thing I was most worried about when
I first read that chapter.

The emotional impact is what matters here, and permanently killing off some ninjas we've barely met would feel cheap in comparison of how much it hurts everyone to see Falin like this.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought it was pretty clear that the characters fear death because:

1. Dieing is still scary and painful no matter how temporary it may or may not be.

2. Depending on how and where they die there is no guarantee of their bodies being found and resurrected.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:45 am Reply with quote
I'd bet good money that the goofy looking Shapeshifters were based on Senshi and Chilchuck memories. Mostly Chilchuck.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
I'd bet good money that the goofy looking Shapeshifters were based on Senshi and Chilchuck memories. Mostly Chilchuck.

The manga actually provides confirmation of who's whose
https://mei.kuudere.pw/3n3bIPaRKfI.png
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Even though that EP18 does little to advance the story, it is one of the best episodes so far for me.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I lost it at the climax during the foreshadowed bark sound effect and the explosion that ruins the encounter. If this comedy keeps going on I think Dungeon Messhi might be my anime of the year.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Glordit wrote:

The manga actually provides confirmation of who's whose
https://mei.kuudere.pw/3n3bIPaRKfI.png

Oh wow, that's really awesome, thanks!
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
What I love about the extra info (and also made clear in the show) is despite not remembering details well, Laios is the least judgemental person out of them and generally gets their vibes and overall physical appearance much more accurately (though he is more focused on one aspect of Marcille over how she is most of the time). Meanwhile everyone's especially judgemental about him. Poor guy. But his ability to understand his party without judgement getting in the way is one of the things that makes him best suited for party leader compared to the others.

It's also interesting that despite (info spoilers) spoiler[ the fact he insults her almost as much as he insults Laios, Chilchuck isn't particularly judgemental of Marcille deep down and aside from not getting how her magic works, seems to gets her personality and appearance pretty accurately (though we didn't spend much time with his version so there might have been exaggerated traits there we didn't see). He seems to respect all of his party but Laios deep down (poor Laios)].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7