• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seeking Feedback from Female Anime Fans: Creating an Inclusive Environment in Our Club

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devil2

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out to the female anime fans in this community for some feedback on a topic that's important for creating inclusive and respectful spaces for all anime enthusiasts in my community.

after receiving advice from my psychologist, I recently started an Anime and Video Gaming club in our community. As we continue to grow our club, I've been considering the types of content we watch together to ensure that everyone feels comfortable and respected during our viewing sessions.

One aspect I'm particularly interested in is the portrayal of female characters in certain anime. I'd like to hear your thoughts on watching anime that may contain ecchi scenes or themes that could be perceived as sexualized, especially when there are both men and women present. For example, how do you feel about watching episodes like episode 5 of Evangelion, the first episode of Sakurasou, or episode 22 of Code Geass? These scenes are not focused on nudity; rather, they contribute to character development and storyline progression. or if there is a rape scene like Goblin Slayer?

or, how do feel about watching all-girls anime like K-on or Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka where there is a Beach/Swiming poll episode in a mixed-gender setting?
Additionally, what are your thoughts on watching harem anime like Kanojo, Okarishimasu, The Quintessential Quintuplets, Nisekoi, Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai, Kanojo mo Kanojo, etc., when both men and women are present?
or what do you think if a man told you that his favorite anime is Fairy Tail or Shokugeki no Soma?

Of course, I want to assure you that I am committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment in our club. I will completely avoid watching ecchi anime with complete nudity for no reason during our club meetings.

Your perspectives and experiences are valuable in helping me understand how to achieve this goal. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights!

Best regards,
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciate you wanting to create an inclusive environment and seeking input on how to make this happen!

One thing to remember is that women are not a hivemind. What one may find off-putting and skeevy, another may be perfectly fine with. Some actively enjoy fan service or harem series, but others will bolt at the first sign of objectification. We all have different taste and different levels of tolerance for creative decisions that pander to men.

Instead of focusing on tropes to avoid (although it probably wouldn't ever be a good idea to show Slave Harem Du Jour or Rape Revenge Fantasy Du Jour), think about showing a variety of series. Anime is such a diverse medium! Browse the shoujo tag on MyAnimeList and you'll find there are plenty of series aimed at female audiences that aren't just romance. If you want to show a harem or moe series, ask yourself if there's anything there for audience members who aren't straight men. Solicit picks from the audience.

But much, much more important is the social environment you foster. Male anime fans have been pushing female fans out of fan spaces for decades, as detailed in a paper by Aurelie Petit. Make it clear from the start that sexual harassment, misogyny, sexism, racism, homophobia, and transphobia are not allowed in the space. If any women in your group feel uncomfortable, listen to their concerns and address them. If you are starting the club, you are responsible for the community you are building. Zero tolerance for rape jokes. This is the most key thing to creating an inclusive space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1