• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Filmworks Reveals English Dub Cast for Gundam Seed Freedom Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
People have been hyping up Mark Oliver's performance for as long as I can remember. You'll regularly find Ed, Edd and Eddy memes about the cast. There's that long standing rumour (?) about Matt Hill getting kicked in the groin to attempt to simulate the infamous Kira cry.

Mark Oliver is only one from the Ocean dub that I preferred over NYAV Post's casting. Kevin T. Collins voice is too soft sounding for the character.

As for crying Kira scene I prefer Max Mittelman the most because he is the most normal sounding of them all. Souichirou Hoshi just overacted way too far. Matt Hill acting was fine but from what I remember they changed the tone of the scene where he sounds angry sad. I think he even angrily yells "No!" or something when the original had no dialog at all but maybe I'm remembering it wrong, haven't seen it in years and I'll never watch the Ocean dub again.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
levonr wrote:
Primus wrote:
People have been hyping up Mark Oliver's performance for as long as I can remember. You'll regularly find Ed, Edd and Eddy memes about the cast. There's that long standing rumour (?) about Matt Hill getting kicked in the groin to attempt to simulate the infamous Kira cry.

Mark Oliver is only one from the Ocean dub that I preferred over NYAV Post's casting. Kevin T. Collins voice is too soft sounding for the character.

As for crying Kira scene I prefer Max Mittelman the most because he is the most normal sounding of them all. Souichirou Hoshi just overacted way too far. Matt Hill acting was fine but from what I remember they changed the tone of the scene where he sounds angry sad. I think he even angrily yells "No!" or something when the original had no dialog at all but maybe I'm remembering it wrong, haven't seen it in years and I'll never watch the Ocean dub again.
Kevin T Collins is still better because it’s more posh and more natural sounding than Mark Oliver’s cartoony villain voice.
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Kevin T Collins is still better because it’s more posh and more natural sounding than Mark Oliver’s cartoony villain voice.

For the most part that's one reason I prefer the NYAV Post dub, its less cartoony. However Rau Le Creuset is a crazy masked villain so being over the top at times seems fitting. Kevin T. Collins during those crazed moments at the end was more soft sounding which lack the same powerful impact. Otherwise I didn't mind him in the role.
light turner

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
Regarding the pronunciation of certain names, I believe the claim that the English VAs were told a specific way to say it. And I also believe the way they say it is intentionally wrong. It's not uncommon to see to see them be directed to say a Japanese name incorrectly because "it's how a native English speaker would say it". I've seen it happen in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Persona 5, and Yu-Gi-Oh! and other media now as well. Call it localization if you will.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Judging by this Reddit post they got Trevor Devall back for Mu La Flaga. Can't confirm myself since I watched it sub. Makes sense since NYAV post actor Tom Wayland is persona non grata.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4